AFLSE Careers/Networking Job postings
AFLSE Careers and Networking has a new position offered by an alumni:
Country Office in Uruguay
The Southern Cone Department of the IDB, which comprises Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, is currently seeking to fill the position of Country Economist for Uruguay.
The position involves a wide range of responsibilities that contribute to the achievement of Bank’s mandate to promote economic growth and social development of the countries in the region. The position will be located in Montevideo, Uruguay.
The Country Economist reports to the Regional Economic Advisor in Washington, DC and to the Country Representative in Uruguay.
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the largest and leading source of financing for regional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB has country offices in each of its 26 borrowing members, whose main responsibilities are: a) Develop a close relationship and dialogue with public and private sector institutions to identify country development needs and goals attuned with its demand and context; b) Develop, implement, and monitor Bank's country and regional strategies; c) Formulate and coordinate the design and execution of projects; d) Oversee the delivery of country and regional operational programs and measure performance of sectors and support services.
- Carries out macroeconomic and financial surveillance, and prepares macroeconomic assessment reports, debt sustainability analyses and financing need forecasts.
- Conducts and manages analytical studies on issues of importance to the economic and social development of the specific country and the region. Also contributes to the development of new tools and methodologies with the support of more experienced staff.
- Participates in the formulation of the Bank's operational country strategy for the assigned country.
- Carries out economic research in areas connected with the operational agenda of the Bank. Reviews problems and issues, interpreting and analyzing diverse information to develop innovative solutions.
- Contributes to the policy dialogue with the authorities.
- As needed, participates in other programming and strategic planning activities.
- Under request, participates in project teams during preparation and execution stages
- Supports and, sometimes leads, knowledge initiatives and events promoted by Country Office.
- Track record of economic research and analysis on macroeconomic issues and other areas of relevance to the development objectives of the IDB.
- Familiarity with the economic and social policy problems in Uruguay and the Southern Cone region.
- Expertise in writing reports on development policy issues and economic situation in both Spanish and English.
- Good command of econometric and quantitative software, (STATA, MATLAB, etc.).
- Familiarity with economic and social data bases.
Education: Master's degree or higher (or equivalent) in Economics. Ph.D. preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, including doctoral research if applicable. Expertise in policy issues and development problems in Uruguay, and Southern Cone economies more generally. Demonstrated ability to perform analysis of economic conditions and risks, and to conduct applied research on economic and development issues.
Languages: Proficiency in Spanish and English, both verbal and written is required.
Client Focus and Management: Focuses efforts on achieving business results through understanding and meeting internal and external client and stakeholder needs. Values the importance of providing high-quality customer service, while balancing the interests of the client and the IDB.
Innovation and Creativity: Generates innovative and creative solutions to problems that contribute to organizational effectiveness. Tries different and novel ways of approaching work to create added value in the services/products provided.
Knowledge-Sharing: Actively develops and shares knowledge within and outside own business area. Leverages expertise to improve organizational effectiveness and add value within sphere of influence.
Collaboration and Influence: Encourages teamwork and cooperates with others to achieve mutually beneficial results. Gains the support of others for own ideas and initiatives, regardless of formal authority and organizational boundaries.
Critical Thinking and Judgment: Uses data, experience, and good judgment to make sound decisions and devise effective solutions to problems. Assesses and manages risk in own work.
The IDB offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including relocation expenses (if applicable).
The IDB is committed to gender equality and encourages women to apply.
We seek diversity also in terms of nationality, ethnicity, race and educational background.
Persons living with disability or HIV/AIDS are equally encouraged to apply.
Closing date: September 27, 2013
The Alumni and Friends of The London School of Economics in The U.S. respects your privacy!
To make sure these communications are not mistakenly blocked in the future by your spam-blocker, please add 'email@example.com' and 'firstname.lastname@example.org' to your approved-senders-list. If you no longer wish to receive correspondence of this kind from the Alumni and Friends of The London School of Economics in The U.S. please follow this unsubscribe link: http://www.aflse.org/unsubscribe.html?email=[email]. You will be removed from receiving any further e-mails at that point. Please allow up to 72 hours to process.