AFLSE Los Angeles
By providing a variety of informative and entertaining events, the Los Angeles chapter has expanded its membership in the past three years.
With nearly 1,200 friends and alumni in the local area, the AFLSE Los Angeles Chapter has increased its numbers by nearly 50% in the past three years.
In the past, the chapter focused on one spectacular Bon Voyage reception every year at the British Consul General’s residence. Under past-Chair Emily Burg’s leadership, the first steps were taken to create regular monthly drinks mixers.
Three years ago, when Chapter Co-Chairs Elizabeth Botsford and Mansi Shah took over, the chapter’s agenda began to include frequent events with other British or Ivy-type alumni groups in Los Angeles and also events with other British organizations. The chapter is frequently invited to join fabulous events put on by these groups, and interactions with these groups greatly strengthen the local LSE community.
Elizabeth and Mansi both find, in the course of regular business and personal interactions around town, they are constantly discovering new LSE alumni to add to the chapter database, creating a diverse, vital and growing group of supporters for various chapter activities.
As well as joining with other Ivy-type business schools for monthly mixers, some recent events have included:
- Private tours of the art collection at RAND Corporation (free of charge to AFLSE members),
- Annual family-friendly holiday brunches (starring Santa) and spring egg hunts, both held at Co-Chair Elizabeth Botsford’s home,
- Panel of Consuls General debating “International Reactions to the Obama Revolution” held at Northern Trust,
- Loyola Law School hosted a (free of charge) debate followed by wine and cheese reception for LSE alumni – the debate featured LSE alumnus Gerard Forlin, Q.C. and Tom Girardi, moderated by a former Federal Judge discussing “International Approaches to Corporate Liability in the post-BP era,"
- The Japanese Consul General hosted a (free of charge) reception for LSE alumni, including five bartenders and his in-house sushi chef. A member of the Japanese Parliament flew in to address the group,
- Theater trip to see “Malcolm and Teresa” a play featuring LSE founder Beatrice Webb, followed by a wine and cheese reception to “meet and greet” the cast,
- Hosted reception featuring LSE Director Craig Calhoun.
If you are interested in being included in future AFLSE Los Angeles events, please ensure you are signed up at www.aflse.org (with a Los Angeles address) and on the Los Angeles AFLSE facebook page in order to receive the monthly e-newsletter.
If you are putting on an event that you would like the chapter to support, please send an email to email@example.com "We are always looking for great new events, venues, and volunteers who want to be more involved in the AFLSE LA community," Mansi Shah said. "We aim to ensure the events schedule includes something for everyone.”
Following are pictures from a reception hosted by the Los Angeles chapter at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills featuring LSE Director Craig Calhoun.